Ripped from the Travel Notes of Little Red

Lao Tzu:
Little Red, a good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
Little Red:
We don't have a fixed plan, Tzu. Bahala na da si Batman.
Honestly, I don't even have an intention to leave my bed just as yet.
Nami pa gani magtulog p'ro...zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Wake me up after 5 minutes, ok Lao?

Monday, January 2, 2012

Cambugahay Falls


Cambugahay Falls is located amidst a flourishing forest on an elevated area about two kilometers north of Lazi town, Siquijor. Our multi-cab was almost spurting as we reach this destination. There were eight of us in our group, plus our guide and the driver, and our cumulative weight appeared to test the engine of our vehicle. Nevertheless, we arrived in our destination safe and sound.
It it wasn't for the sign that indicates there is a waterfalls down the slopes across the road, one would think that the parking area beside the road is just a resting area for motorists. A couple of rolling stores in the vicinity sell chichirias, soft drinks and energy drinks. There is also a person in-charge who collects a parking fee for every vehicle that stops over.



This is our driver paying the parking fee

Trekkers are grateful for this man-made steps
which make the trip downhill easier
To get to the falls you had to go down more than a hundred steps made of stones to see it. It was quite a steep descent, so it’s best if you be careful in going down unless you want roll downhill in a hurry. The stairway down looks unassuming but after a final turn down those steep steps the sight of the falls makes the trip down the hill worthwhile.

This is what greeted us at the bottom of the hill


The falls is multi-level, not quite high but it sure is wide. The bottom tier cascades to a deeper part of the river, and they say that it is the best area to take a dip in. Sure enough when we got there pieces of clothing lay on a stump of a coconut tree and someone is already in the pool.


Seems that this lone diver is swimming au naturel (well, almost)
A view from from the top of the lower cascade
This vine was used by the lone swimmer as a "ladder" in climbing back to the river bank


If going down the steps was easy, the climb up proved to be difficult. My sister kept telling me that I should exercise and that time I realized she was right. I should really do more cardio before I start on treks again. I have to thank my cousin for letting me hold on to the hem of his shirt halfway up the trail. I contributed a fraction to his fatigue. My throat was dry as I was hyperventilating. I had to rest once in a while to catch my breath. The last ten steps, I had to stop and take a sip of water. As soon as I reached the main road however, I had another concern--I felt a sharp pain slicing across my right knee cap. I must be getting old for this. I survived the “mari-it”, but the trek did me. It seemed that my weight also tested my heart, lungs and my knees.  :D


Climbing back tends to be tiring so it is a good thing they have those rolling stores beside the parking area. Prices are reasonable and the vendors are friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment