Ripped from the Travel Notes of Little Red

Lao Tzu:
Little Red, a good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
Little Red:
We don't have a fixed plan, Tzu. Bahala na da si Batman.
Honestly, I don't even have an intention to leave my bed just as yet.
Nami pa gani magtulog p'ro...zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Wake me up after 5 minutes, ok Lao?

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Why a travel blog from someone who is a self-professed reluctant traveler?

I must admit that I hate traveling but I also hate being confined too long at home. When boredom sets in I also get the itch to travel as long as the budget permits, of course. When this happens, there are three things that I readily put in my day pack: my notebook and pen (I consider them as a 2-in-1 item because one is not complete without the other), and my camera.

Why my notebook and pen? Nothing’s wrong with my memory actually, but sometimes I have this moment where I tend to forget something so a pen and a notebook is my reliable antidote for that. I jot down and scribble things that sometimes I alone can understand. Why a camera? Do I really have to elaborate on this? Sometimes, I feel that I need to capture a good scene in posterity so a camera is a very handy and effective tool for this. Among the three, the camera is my favorite because it literally captures everything in action (or non-action, if you may). When we travel, we tell a story about it to our friends or to anyone who cares to listen. If we are not good in telling a story then we take pictures of the places we went to whenever it is possible. People say that a picture tells more than what words can say, but if we can combine both, all the better.

A journey ends, but our adventures and misadventures become engrained in our memories. Somehow, we have this need to relate to other people what we have been through in our travels, may it be with our stories or with our pictures. This need is very basic for me. It’s not really showing off as I rarely make myself the subject of my own pictures and stories. I just want to express what I experienced and feel to other people. And so to answer the question why a travel blog from this self-professed reluctant traveler? I am just fulfilling my basic need to express myself, that’s all.

No comments:

Post a Comment